There are over 100,000 mould species, some being more harmful than others. Most homeowners have the impression that mould is nothing more than a mere nuisance. Mould invades homes all over the country and most people can handle low-level exposure, but the problem with mould is that it multiplies when it has access to moisture and organic material like food, soil, wood paper, leaves and fabric. That once annoying household mould could be making you and your family sick.
Attics – dark places that hold moisture – are popular places for mould to grow. Common attic mould has the potential to aggravate individuals who are allergic to mould. These people may break out in rashes, experience cold-like symptoms such as coughing or a runny nose, and may experience respiratory problems. Check attics often to prevent and detect mould growth.
3.Toxic Mould – Black Mould
The term “toxic mould” is somewhat misleading. House mould in itself is not toxic, but they do produce toxins that that are harmful to person’s health. Toxic mould exposure can lead to diseases that are mild in some cases but fatal in others. How a person’s body reacts to toxic mould exposure depends on the strength of their immune system. People with a weak immune system are the ones most easily compromised. There are three types of black mould that are less common but are considered very serious health hazards. Toxic mould such as: Stachybotrys, Acremonium, and Memnoniella require soaked cellulose (wood, paper, and cotton products) to grow. Such moulds may appear slimy when wet – with white edges.
Even if the mould growing in your home is not toxic, it will still stain, discolour, and deteriorate the surface it is growing on.
Want to know more?
Fill in your details and we'll be in touch